Forum

HomeHomeCoreCoreRants and RavesRants and RavesOpen Source at it Worst?Open Source at it Worst?
Previous

Next
New Post
12/4/2010 10:22 AM

I'm trying to wrap my head around OWS for the third time and I keep getting stuck on syntax. It's very different from anything else I've used.

I watch the videos but the syntax is glossed over.

So, I'm back at the wiki trying to find information. Searches are useless and drilling down on the index is as likely to produce a blank page as an unrelated article.

It's the most basic precept of any language to define the syntax for every keyword. So, try to lookup "Variable". I've seen it used in the DNNCreative videos like this:

Variable@Category from <form> frmCat

but there is no syntax definition that I can find on the OWS site. Right now it seems that learning OWS requires reverse-engineering the videos or a great deal of intuition.

I have been very frustrated with the lack of support from some of the other RAD tools when I began this investigation of OWS. But now I am even more frustrated at the lack of basic documentation here.

OWS needs a basic syntax manual (no wiki please, this wiki is a classic example of why they don't work). A book would be even better.

I don't know if r2i reads this thread but there are literally hundreds of people that have walked away for the same reason.... lack of clear syntax documentation.

r2i, if you are listing, please create a syntax manual.

I know VB development is a lot more work but at least there is documentation.

If I am wrong about this, please point me in the right direction and I will happily take up my fourth attempt to learn OWS.

New Post
12/16/2010 1:44 PM

New Post
1/21/2011 8:38 AM

There is a syntax manual, the syntax is in the wiki - and the search is working fine for me. I think you are missing the difference between Actions and Syntax (Columns, Tokens and Formatters). Essentially you need to understand the following:

http://openwebstudio.com/Community/Co...

http://openwebstudio.com/topic/Managi...

http://openwebstudio.com/topic/Format...

New Post
2/7/2011 8:24 PM

The wiki is a bit haphazard but looks like it has improved over time.

Last night I was sympathetic to the original sentiment on this thread.  I just could not get my head around using OWS.  The videos here are great, but barely scratch the surface.  Today I broke down and subscribed to DNNCreative.com.  The OWS tutorlal videos there are excellent.  The Knowledge Base series clarified everything I need to know be able to get started on my project.  I am usually hesitant to pay for web content, as I'm sure many here are, because I've been disappointed so many times in the past.  But I think this was well worth the price.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeCoreCoreRants and RavesRants and RavesOpen Source at it Worst?Open Source at it Worst?

New York, NY • Baltimore, MD • Vienna, VA • St. Louis, MO • Seattle, WA • info@openwebstudio.com

Bookmark & Share Bookmark and Share